Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Smoothing it Over

"Hey...do you remember what you said to me that night?  To make me react that way?" She asked Acrobat before everyone else arrived to rehearsal.

"....I honestly don't.  I mean, we said a lot of stuff that night.  We were all pretty far gone." Acrobat responded with a smile.  Clearly this wasn't something that was bothering him.

"Yeah, we were.  It was really fun until it wasn't, apparently," He agreed and said that he most likely said something like he wasn't ready for a relationship yet, which he wasn't.

"Oh, I know you aren't ready...but I don't think that's what you said."

"I'm sure I didn't exactly put it eloquently." He responded, still with a smile.  Her phone chirped that the director had arrived but wasn't sure what room they were in.  The conversation put on hold, she messaged him the next day to clear everything up.

"So, I remember some of what was said Saturday night...I just felt like I was out of line and you deserved an explanation along with an apology for my hostility, but not all the info is really coming back to me for a good explanation. I guess all I can say is that I was used by my ex, and used by another recent "relationship," so whatever was said struck a nerve with me because I felt like it was playing into a pattern and I was angry at men for being seen as easily usable, and I took it out on you, and I'm really sorry. I hope it doesn't make our friendship awkward from here on out. I totally get you aren't looking for a relationship, I see where you are in your healing process and I totally respect it, I think our innocent flirting just made it a little messy that night. Just to clarify, SO not looking to get into a relationship with you. I like where we are, or where we were before the end of Saturday night."

Then she suddenly felt like she had shared way too much and added "tl;dr version, sorry I was a bitch suddenly on Saturday night."

He responded quickly: "Thank you for the message and I'm glad you have a better idea of what made you upset that night. I agree innocent flirting with alcohol can get messy with emotions. I must have been oblivious to you being upset or a bitch as you call it because I thought the night ended well."

Whew. Bullet dodged on an awkward rehearsal period. When she saw him, the flirting had been put on the back burner, but they were the good friends they were before the flirting started, and she couldn't really ask any more than that.