Monday, April 4, 2016

Spreading the Gospel

"So," she started, "There will be a guy calling to verify my employment, just to let you know." The office manager said "Oh yeah?  What's going on?"

"It's for an apartment."

"Oh yeah?  Did your husband get a job?"

"It's just for me actually."

The office managers face fell.  "Oh my gosh Penny, I'm so sorry.  Are you okay?" She pulled out a tissue and handed it to her.  It was premature; she didn't end up using the tissue except to shred it while she spoke.  She told her everything that went down the day they talked the previous week.

"I'm gonna be fine."

"Is this the first time you are going to be living by yourself?"

"Yeah.  Actually it is."

"That's actually pretty exciting!"

"It is.  I'm trying not to really tell anyone about the separation though."

Later on in the work day the new apartment came up in conversation.  Her boss asked her how much it was for a second parking spot in the building.  "Actually I'm only going to need one.  I'm moving in by myself."

Her boss and co-worker in the office were shocked, but made sure not to make a big deal out of it.  They were very nice.  They asked the right questions without prying too much.  They were very sympathetic, understanding, and supportive. They dropped the subject as soon as it was appropriate, and she felt safe.  She was so lucky to have found this place to work.