Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Closure

"So, it's been two weeks.  I miss talking to you, and you don't seem the type to ghost, so I thought I'd reach out and see if you were still thinking about everything."

She had blown through all her emotions.  She needed her closure.  She was fully aware that after two weeks he wasn't going to go running back into her arms.  She just wanted it done.

She just wanted him to say it.  Just like she needed him to say it to start it.

An hour and a half passed, and she got a response.

"Hi Penny, I'm really sorry I haven't contacted you.  I feel like a real asshole about it and I'm sure you agree.  Look, I think you're smart, you're pretty, you're cool and you're really sweet but I don't want to be in a relationship right now.  I've realized in the last couple weeks that I don't even want to date right now."

She smirked at this, as she had rejoined the dating site that day and checked his profile.  He had been online at 8AM that day.  Looks like he still didn't understand that being on that site meant that people assumed that was what he was looking for.  She continued to read.

"I'm too busy with school and I'm leaving in a few months and it's best for me if I don't get attached to anyone.  I feel terrible about it, I feel like I led you on but I'm really happy about the time we spent together and it was great getting to know you.  If you want to be friends we can still be friends but I don't want to pursue a romantic relationship with you anymore."

She got a phone call and didn't end up responding to him for an hour.

"Thank you for responding and giving me some closure.  I can't disagree that I was led on by you, but I always had a feeling about it, which is why I tried to end the romantic aspect of it.  I'm sorry if you felt like I was forcing you into a relationship that night, I was just trying to understand what you were looking for.  I will always be your friend if you want me to be.  But I don't want to be anywhere I'm not wanted."

He didn't respond.  He didn't need to.