Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Pesky Memories

Facebook memories dredged up the bitter reminder of how one year ago, she made her split Facebook Official.

It took her by surprise so much that she slumped down into her couch, and slowly felt herself unravel.  This had officially gone on long enough.  She cried, for 20 solid minutes...before texting her ex.

"Well Facebook is a real asshole and reminded me that it's been a year since we told everyone we were done.  I can't stop crying."

Seconds later her phone started to ring.  It was her ex.

They talked, cried, and hyperventilated with each other for 4 hours.

The question that she had been dreading for over a year finally came.

"Are you sure this is what you want?  Can't you give me another chance?"

She drew a ragged breath.  Tears again filled her eyes as she struggled to remain strong.

"If I gave you another chance....and the same thing happened again"

He interrupted.   "You'd have every right to be mad at me then."

"You think this is about mad, about hate?" She asked him.  She didn't wait for an answer.  "It's never been about that.  It's about love.  If I gave you another chance and the same thing happened, I would be devastated. Devastated.  I don't have the strength to leave you a second time.  If the same thing happened...I would end my life.  Please don't think I'm exaggerating, I'm not saying this to be dramatic."

"I still think about you everyday."

"I still feel guilty everyday."

They decided to get together to sign the paperwork in a few days.