Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Transient

During one of their intense post-coital talks, she gave him a hard time about not being able to commit to anything, while he said she never took any risks.

"Why would I?  I'm happy right now.  I've got friends, a job that I love.  Why would I want to blow up my life just for fun?"

They decided their differences stemmed from upbringing.  His family moved around every few years, whereas her mom was still living in the same house she'd spent in life in from 3 months old onward.  They always had different jobs, so he always got bored with his jobs every few years.  She wanted a "forever home" job where she worked there until she retired or died, never having to worry about getting fired.

His marriage only lasted 4 years...her's lasted over a decade.

They were pretty different on that front.  He was a transient, in all senses of the word. 

He was only going to last in her life for a short period of time.  Impermanent.

He was a momentary variation in her current, voltage, frequency.  He was living in a trailer just a few towns over, and was planning on moving to a couch in Southern California soon.  He wasn't meant to stick around any longer than he did.

So it shouldn't have surprised her when he didn't show up for their last meeting, instead choosing to drink all night with his ex, nearly missing his graduation.

"Sorry it didn't work out." he texted nonchalantly.

"Yeah.  Honestly I'm not sure why I expected anything different from you.  Good lesson for me though.  I'd say keep in touch but you were never great at that, so I guess I just wish you the best."

He didn't respond.  Again, she didn't expect him to.  But this time, she needed to give him a month before she unfriended him on all social media and forget he even existed.