Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pre-Thanksgiving

"What's wrong with me that I want to go out for a drink but I know as soon as I get home I'll take a hot shower, watch a movie while I write, and go to bed early?" She texted KSL.  She had gotten out of work early, went to a doctors appointment where they had surprised her with a flu shot, which already hurt like hell, and had sushi with Dawn.  It was only 5 PM and she was done with the world and ready for the extended days off she had laid out before her.

"I don't know.  I'm down for a drink after rehearsal." He responded.

"When are you out of rehearsal?" She asked.

"9:30ish"

"Mmm.  Okay, let me know." It was so far away that she might not be in the mood when the time finally came.

She took a shower, tried to take a nap but her mother and Mo both called and kept her from both her movie and her writing.  She laid down, finally, around 8:30.  She woke up from a text from KSL at 9:34.

"What's the dizzle, P-sizzle?"

"I could drink.  Just need pants.  Where do you want to go?"

They ended up at the same bar that she had last been with Piz.  The bar was full for a Wednesday night, and KSL gestured up to the loft where Piz has kissed her.  She winced, but they went up to sit down anyway.  KSL sat in the same spot Piz had, and she deliberately sat in a different spot.

Their talk was pretty jovial, showing each other photos from their youth and memes they had found recently.  She laughed at his early 2000's sideburns and dyed black hair.  She told him that he was lucky they met when they did, or she wouldn't have found him the least bit attractive.

They snapchatted some "Ethel Merman Sings The Everything" with the 90's R&B that was playing at the bar.  He stole her phone they laughed as she tried to find it on him.  She chided him on his "old man cardigan" his brother had bought him.  It was nice.  Maybe a little too friendly, but that's where they were.

She told him about how the ex had stated that he should have encouraged her writing more, and seeing as how the first guy to take an interest in her writing she had sex with, he was onto something.  KSL winced and said "I'm not sure how I feel about that."  She responded "Well, technically B read a bit of my public blog too, and I fucked him 100x more than I did you."  He nodded but still was trying to suss out what he was thinking.

"You know I've tried finding it a couple of times." He looked up and confessed.  Her eyebrows rose in amusement.  "You did huh?"

"Yeah, it crossed my mind a couple of times.  Tried some key words...nothing came up."  He seemed genuinely disappointed.  "Well, we did stop reading before we got to the good stuff to be fair." She smiled at him.

"So....what do you want to do now?"  She winced.  Exactly what Piz asked.  KSL asked what was wrong as he saw the look on her face.  She explained what had happened that night.  "Well, at least he went after what he wanted." KSL responded.

"You hungry?  I haven't eaten dinner yet." He suggested Pho, and suddenly it was all she was desiring.  Besides, it was the only place that was going to be open that late.

As they arrived she remembered it was him who had made fun of her for never adding anything to her pho, and now she made a huge mess of things.  He asked her which was the fish oil, and she laughed at him for not remembering.  He picked out his tripe, and she made fun of him of him for even ordering it.   They tried each others and made fun of each other for how the pho tasted. 

"This is what I meant that night.  This is what I missed about our friendship.  This is where we were always supposed to be, even though we got a little lost."  He smiled at her and nodded.

He suddenly checked his watch and exclaimed "Well, it's official.  Happy Thanksgiving!"

She was glad that she was with him for the first parts of the day.  She was glad that he had really come into her life this year.